Governance Leadership and Accountability
Australia & Pacific
07 July 16
MODULE 2 - DESIGNING A MEAL SYSTEM
WHAT ARE THE LEARNING OUTCOMES FOR THIS MODULE?
Individuals and organisations who use this material will:
• have a clear understanding of the importance and use of MEAL systems and plans
• be confident in planning for and designing a MEAL system
• understand the elements included in an effective MEAL system
• understand what a participatory MEAL process is
• have the skills and tools to:
o identify who should be involved in MEAL in a specific program
o identify the purpose and use of MEAL in their program
o understand and refine how a MEAL system relates to the program design
o develop evaluation tools, indicators and targets relevant to a specific program.
The information in the module draws on many different sources that Oxfam feels reflect best practice and align with their commitment to participatory, empowering processes for local organisations. It aligns with the Oxfam Common Approach to MEL and Social Accountability.
HOW IS THE MODULE STRUCTURED?
The module is structured in five sections:
• Section 1 What is MEAL? examines why MEAL is important in development work and introduces key concepts of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL).
• Section 2 What makes MEAL effective? looks at what makes MEAL effective in the context of development and introduces the concept of participatory MEAL.
• Section 3 How do we develop a MEAL System? introduces a process to develop a MEAL system and discusses who should be involved in MEAL.
• Section 4 How do we know what to monitor and evaluate? looks at what needs to be monitored and evaluated in a specific program or project. In this section you will work through the first 3 steps of creating a MEAL System:
• Step 1: Identify the purpose and use of your information
• Step 2: Clarify program design
• Step 3: Identify what information is required.
• Section 5 Tools, Templates & Resources provides relevant templates, definitions and resources related to MEAL system development. It also includes an example training session plan that uses activities from this module.
Each section in the module relates to a key question about MEAL and provides details of each component, along with suggested activities you could do to work through in your team. There are tools and templates that can be used and adapted at the end of the module.